David Donnelly is one of Canada’s leading environmental lawyers and an award-winning advocate for smart growth. He has represented public interest groups and ratepayers in some of Ontario’s key environmental battles, including:
- Oak Ridges Moraine OMB hearing in Richmond Hill;
- Big Bay Point OMB mega-marina hearing;
- Walkerton Commission of Inquiry; and
- 1.8 million acre Greenbelt Plan for Ontario’s Golden Horseshoe.
Before founding Donnelly Law, David previously practiced at a premiere boutique litigation firm in Toronto’s historic Gooderham “Flatiron” Building.
David has been an advisor to government on law and planning reform, including the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and Ontario Environmental Bill of Rights, and is a frequent media commentator. He goes to court regularly to protect greenspace, aboriginal cultural heritage and to prosecute environmental offences.
David has a law degree from the University of Windsor and a Master’s degree in Environmental Studies from York University. Prior to practicing law, David was a professional planner and the executive director of Environmental Defence Canada from 1988-1996.
- Qualified as full Member of the Canadian Institute of Planners, 2004
- Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, 2002
- University of Windsor, LL.B., 2001
- York University, Masters of Environmental Studies (MES), 1995
- Executive Director, Environmental Defence, 1988-1996
- University of Toronto, Hons. B.A., 1987
- Legal Counsel to Environmental Defence, 2000-Present
- Strategic Counsel to the Green Energy Act Alliance (GEEA), 2008-Present
- Represents Protecting Escarpment Rural Land (PERL) and the Clearview Community Coalition (CCC) in opposition to quarry applications on the Niagara Escarpment
- Represented Friends of Boyd Park on private prosecution, bump-up under the Environmental Assessment Act and inclusion in the Greenbelt
- Represented Green Door Alliance/Whitevale Ratepayers Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve Protection Act
- Prosecution of York Durham Sewage System (the “Big Pipe”) and bump-up to full Environmental Assessment
- Co-Founder of Green Divas for Council
- Co-Founder and Principal of the Green Gravel & Stone Coalition
- Counsel to the Huron-Wendat Nation regarding cultural heritage, consultation and accommodation matters in Ontario
- Placed 16th, Montreal Oyster Shucking Contest
- Inaugural Toronto Star “Green Angel”, 2009
- NOW Magazine, Best Green Activist – Critics’ Pick, 2009
- Placed 25th, Canadian Oyster Shucking Championship (PEI), 2009
- Earth Day Canada, “Hometown Hero” Award, 2008
- Toronto Life “Green Giant”, 2007
- Moraine Hero Award, 2006
- Rated “Top Ten Municipal Lawyer”, 2005